Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Guest Blogger: Madeline Taylor

Whistle Down the Wind has been a great experience for me. I learned so much from it. I learned a lot about being professional - but having fun at the same time - by watching the adults. They are such wonderful and capable individuals that greatly influence the children of Whistle Down the Wind. We learn so much from them. Everybody is extremely phenomenal and they were all cast perfectly. We all have shaped and molded our characters and character relationships that we are constantly talking like our characters would in our dialect.

To be in a professional show with all of these people is quite exhilarating. It’s such an educational experience; the whole process of learning the lines and music and then putting it to the stage. The final product is worth all of the hard labor put into it and the whole cast is very proud of it. Putting the whole show together is a quick-paced and frenetic process. The rehearsal days just fly by.

Right now we’re having tech week, and I am sitting on a dressing room bench writing this during a break. Tech week is so chaotic, but it only makes the show so much better. It is all about getting used to the space and doing things in that space. From staging, to props, to set changes, to quick changes; it all has to be rehearsed at the theatre. We are so blessed to have the A.J. Fletcher Opera Theater. It’s a huge theatre with lots of seats for sold out shows (I hope)! We are truly grateful for all that the management and Wally Jones has allowed us; the time, the studio space, the theatre, and our fantastic crew. It is truly daunting to see the effort that people give to theatre. A lot goes into a show.

The best parts of the show are the run, and the people you meet. You become great friends with everybody in the cast and you stay in touch with those people. And then you see them all the time, everywhere. It is such a small world. The Whistle Down the Wind cast are people I will always be friends with, and our friendships will only grow from here. We are always there for each other and helping one another - we’re like a family.

So this is pretty much my “life upon the wicked stage”. Whistle Down the Wind was a great experience overall for me. I will never forget these memories that I made; everything will stick with me forever. And it will only help me in the years to come. I send my thanks to Julio, Wally, Nancy, and Christine for giving me this great opportunity. I will never forget it!
By Madeline C. Taylor (a.k.a. Cathy Bostock)

No comments: